From the Office of Seattle Mayor, Jenny Durkan
“Earlier today at Fire Station 10, Mayor Durkan presented her proposed 2019-2020 biennial budget – her first budget as mayor. Her budget plan reflects the values and priorities that she has focused on as mayor over the past nine months:
- Focusing on the basics, like public safety, transportation, and water – the essentials that our communities, our neighborhoods, and our businesses rely on;
- Addressing our crisis of affordability, housing, and homelessness;
- Standing up for what’s right – for inclusion and equity and our most vulnerable neighbors; and,
- Investing in building a city of the future – one that is more welcoming, innovative, and vibrant.
The 2019-2020 proposed budget is balanced, totaling $5.9 billion, and is a sustainable budget that reprioritizes City spending. The budget reflects $49 million in savings that Mayor Durkan identified during the budget process, including through vacancies and efficiencies at departments. The Mayor’s 2019 budget includes:
- $2.6 billion for utility services like power, clean drinking water, garbage and recycling at Seattle City Light and Seattle Public Utilities;
- $695 million for public safety, including 40 new police officers and 120 new fire recruits;
- $609 million for transit and transportation investments; and,
- $89.5 million for homelessness across all departments without raising new taxes.
Below is some sample social media content, and you can view and download shareable graphics for social media here. You can also access the following fact sheets online for more details:
- Budget Overview
- Commitment to Public Safety
- Addressing our Homelessness and Housing Crisis
- Investing in Transit and Seattle’s Transportation System
- Building a More Equitable, Inclusive Seattle
- Investing in the City of the Future
You can also read the Mayor’s remarks as delivered here.
As always, please let us know if you have any questions, or would like more information or resources.
Mark and Mayor Durkan’s Communications Team
Senior Communications Advisor (He/His)
Office of Mayor Jenny A. Durkan | City of Seattle”
O: 206-684-8180| M: 206-247-2737 | email@example.com