Flyer Here – SRTS_Kickoff_Flyer-1
Lake City Greenways is thrilled to announce SDOT’s Annual Safe Routes to School Kick-Off event will be held at our very own Cedar Park Playground.
Kids on bikes! Swag! Healthy snacks! Storytime!
The event will feature fun activities and giveaways as such:
- Bike Rodeo with Lake City Neighborhood Greenways (bikes provided)
- Free raffle for a gift card to purchase a bicycle donated by R2 Bicycles and gift cards donated by Recycled Cycles
- Free basic bike repair donated by Hampsten Cycles and Mend Bicycles
- Free helmet giveaway to the first 50 people who don’t already have helmets
- Bicycle Storytime with the Lake City Public Library
- SRTS swag and free healthy snacks
- Free “20 is Plenty” yard signs
- Interactive walk & bike to school maps. Learn your safest route!
- Information on future projects in the area
- Music and dancing
From the press release:
SEATTLE – The Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) is celebrating the start of a new school year with its first annual “Safe Routes to School” Kickoff event in Lake City! Start planning your kids’ biking or walking route to school with SDOT’s Safe Routes to School (SRTS) program.
The first annual Safe Routes to School Kickoff event is on Friday, August 26, from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. at Cedar Park Elementary School at 3737 NE 135th St in Seattle’s Lake City neighborhood.
“More and more kids in Seattle are walking and biking to school,” said SDOT Director Scott Kubly. “That’s why it’s important to teach them about pedestrian and bike safety – to keep kids safe when they’re between home and school.”
This event is free, family-friendly and open to the public. We look forward to seeing you as we get ready for the new school year!
Safe Routes to School is a national movement to make it easier and safer for students to walk and bike. SDOT supports this movement through engineering improvements, safety education, and encouragement campaigns at public and private schools throughout Seattle.